Monday, July 16, 2007

We had an Alpine experience!!!

..... from Sydney ....
Damn. I'm glad I left that 12/25 cogset on from Snake Alley. Might not have been big hills but they were big enough to make you feel 'em - a lot by the 5th lap. I also had 5 opportunities on a particular downhill to wonder if shox on a road bike might not be a bad idea. Overall, I thought it was great that the three of us who road today all placed in the top 15 and personally, I had what I would consider my very first successful field sprint. And by that, I mean I didn't get freaked out and managed to go from wheel to wheel for a 10th place finish. Wish one of our breakaways would have worked, but Katie (2) and I (1) gave it a go and that's all you can do.

... from Katie ...
So just after June had given me a tip to watch a particular wheel, that wheel started to jet away from the pack on the first hill of the first lap. I decided to give it a go and see what would happen. We worked together off the front for the majority of the first lap before getting caught. I tried (in vain) to get Syd to counter... but the way the race went it was rather smart of her to sit in and see the course before trying any moves on her own. There were enough just-bigger-than-rolling hills to allow regular breaks off the front, but none were to get away. Into the 2-lap-to-go lap, a strong group of 5 of us got off the front, and I thought we had it made. But I was quite wrong! After spending the majority of 2 laps off the front I was pleased to hang on for 6th. It was so great to see Syd off the front for a good try and to see June mixing it up with the big dogs, too! And, of course, we had great feeds and motivation from our sprinter who decided that taking a break today would help her overall sprint points series. Good thing we got those new radios! :)
....from the support crew....
Talk about elated!!!! 3 girls in the top 15!!! You gals rock. Now lets see if I can hold the tent down tomorrow, or should I say blow the top off!!!
Lets get down to Bidnes!!
C-

1 comment:

Chris said...

Yeeehaw, girls. Love the updates. Am just biting my nails here while I know your racing...wish I could hear a play-by-play. As hard as Nature Valley was for me to just watch and (lamely) support, it was A LOT better than trying to imagine!

Kudos to all! Good luck tomorrow. Yeah T-Rev!
-c