Friday, July 27, 2007

Superweek: Day five | Brewer's Hill


The key word here seemed to be "hill". On the fifth day of racing it seemed like the key word in the pack was "survival". OK, so that was my plan. There wasn't a whole lot of aggression in the group that morning as there was only one or two attacks that quickly got soaked back in.

Road conditions weren't the greatest, either: potholes, manhole covers, gutters, grates and divets kept everyone cautious and heavy on the brakes through turns. An uneventful hour of racing (thank god!).

With 5 to go, Carrie yelled at me that the race was to the last corner (implying that whoever got there first would stick with it for the finish). I stayed safe and quiet and got on my wheel with two to go. Bell lap went as expected and I chickened out in taking the last turn (at the bottom of a long, bump-ridden downhill) and conceded to sit second behind the series leader (who'd won 3 out of the 4 races so far).

Her record would improve and her overall lead on me would grow as I just couldn't get around her on the last climb. Damn.

One more day. (thank god)

No comments: