Monday, July 02, 2007

Race Safety



After a few days to think about the tragedy of the Proctor Cycling Classic in Peoria, IL this weekend I've still come to no conclusions about how to affect race safety. What are we to do? Boycott races that don't close roads completely? I presume it's an administrative nightmare. An issue that keeps race organizers up at night.

I witnessed the "rolling" closure at Nature Valley for two separate (national caliber) races involving a few hundred cyclists. It was a big ordeal and one that I can't see happeneing for the handful of racers I've seen show up at local women's events.

We can complain, we can argue, but can we justify the resources to demand such orchestration involved in closing off roads for ALL races? How many racers makes that justification? The simple fact is that lives are at stake and there's a significant amount of responsibility laid on the shoulders of the racers. I've personally let that responsibility slip in the heat of a competitive moment...I've had a few lucky "moments" like that; where I was snapped back to the reality of the situation.

We all live, ride and race in a sort of denial. "The officials know what they're doing." "It's a RACE, local drivers will be more respectful because it's a sanctioned event." What are we to do, as racers? I will ponder this until my next road race. Thankfully, I don't think I have any left this year. All crits. Those roads are always closed. Dangerous for a whole other reason...

I'm still left saddened and confused about how to advocate for better safety. Confused because I know what's needed, but am not sure it's a realistic possibility. Where do we draw the line? Is it worth all my internal debate or was it a terrible and unlikely accident?

2 comments:

How do i get to my old stuff said...

Racing bikes is a difficult and dangerous sport. Moreover, I believe at every race we sign a sheet testifying we understand this, but I'm guessing many of us don't always keep the gravity of the situation in mind.

For example, I know many MTBers tell me they won't have anything to do with road racing because someone else could take them out.

They say, "At least on the trail, I know whose fault it is and it's going to be me that takes me out."

This may be true usually, but I've seen exceptions. On the road, it's much more serious because we race packed together and the speeds are so much higher. Therefore, we're not only responsible for our own safety, but each other's as well.

I don't know what happened in Peoria exactly, but a friend of mine was hurt earlier this year because another racer's post finish sprint head drop lead to bars locking up and a wreck. Rider error = danger.

Perhaps the best safety advocacy and enforcement might be increased focus on riders accepting risk as well as some type of skills demonstration in order to race and cat up. I'm not a fan of increased bureaucracy, but as a rider who's cat'ted up quickly, I am continually thankful I've been surrounded by experienced racers who took it upon themselves to help me understand the seriousness of the situation and who helped me learn whether it was through practice bumping, cornering, pacelining, etc.

So, I guess the other part of advocacy would be working with new and sketchy riders to help them understand they are responsible for themselves and, more importantly, others as well as helping them learn and practice the skills necessary to properly shoulder the responsibility.

VeloCC said...

I am a MTB racer and I train on the road bike a lot. I noticed that a lot of road bikers don't have a lot of bike handling skills. They can go fast as long as they go straight...
Sydney is right. It would be a could thing to have like a "rider's license" kinda like a driver's license. In MTB you have to learn those skill or you become a tree hugger:)