Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Weighting Game


It's post-season, the days are shorter and air is brisk. There seems to be a subconscious signal going off in my brain to start packing it on for the long, hard STL winter. How do you know you're gaining weight? You say to yourself, “I think I'll change into some ‘jammie pants’to sit on the couch and watch television. I'm wearing jeans, people! Everyday, all day. Jeans.

It was an actual thought I had after a long freaking day of work and eating like I'm racing tomorrow (and the next day and the day after that). For me, it's not so much weather-induced as stress-induced; I'm hoping against all hope that stress also increases metabolic activity.

So, this gets me thinking about what we’re gonna do instead of sitting on the couch... You might remember the post I had about “winter activities” a WHILE back. Well here we are, staring down the barrel of November and a delayed daylight savings change (thank you).

WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?:
I see like 55 people on the ning site—it’s time to get together and discuss winter prep (and I’m not talking about expanding your wardrobe to include more “jammie pants”!). We need a gathering, to match new faces and guilt some people out of the house for cold-weather riding and, oh yeah, maybe have some adult beverages. We know it’s been a long time. We’re on it. More details soon. Seriously.

MOVIE NIGHT:
We still need a place to have our movie/spin night. In the short-term, you can join Tracy and others for Spinervals on Tuesdays at the Alpine Shop (**exact dates and times coming soon***).

CHARITY RIDE:
I haven’t quite figured this one out yet, but I want to do a scavenger hunt meets bike race involving procuring various goods necessary to prepare a holiday meal....details will be forthcoming as I make it up.

FROSTBIKE SERIES:
Again, not fully put together in my head, but I want to do a multiweek series, where you buck up in the beginning...let’s say 10 weeks for $100. Every week you show up to ride, you get your 10 bucks back....I’m not sure breaking even is a good reason to get out and ride in 20 degree weather...still thinking of incentives. This will be on the weekend, maybe one for each discipline: road AND mountain bikes.

I should have titled this entry “Details to Come”.....hey, we’re busy. Feel free to help or come up with your own. We’ll promote it, if we dig it! Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Email me!

1 comment:

How do i get to my old stuff said...

Frostbike.. .now that's a good idea. Maybe have to get something like that going here.