Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Thanks + Race Account



First, thanks to everyone for the "congrats!" I'm still glowing. My first win of the season. Whew! More than a few people have told me that was the right race to win, huh?

It was a flat course with a nervous bunch of women. A 3-place prime was announced for the first TWO laps: $125 for first, $75 for second and $50 for third. A prime! Two laps! The FIRST two laps! Luckily the course was nearly 3 miles or the jousting for position would have been terrible. Lap one started with me struggling to clip in (as usual) and I was sort of rolled into the gutter by a crooked line of a girl in front of me. Clipped in. Whew! Now, move up from 35th place!

Before the first turn, on the LONG straight stretch a girl hooked her bars on my leg for about 10 feet. She was freaking out! Yelling "don't crash me, oh god don't crash me!" I said "Easy." (Which is all I can ever think to say when things are getting sketchy.) I just soft-pedaled so she could straighten her line and people could give her space. Luckily we had just practiced this drill in our learning series. Luckily she didn't freak out TOO much and kept her wits enough not to jerk her bars.

The prime for lap one was fun to watch. I had decided to sit it out since I had all that trouble getting started. There was a lead-out by the Wolverines girls that went perfectly (from what I could tell). I think they both got cash that prime. I stayed with the acceleration and considered going for the next prime. I was sitting third when a couple of ISCorp girls were attempting a train. The leadout ran out of gas too soon and, although I was sitting third, I was quickly boxed in with 250 meters left. Oh well, "save it" I told myself.

Lap 3 was uneventful. No prime and no attack that I can remember. There was the usual shufflling reaction to the bell as they announced last lap. But again, with nearly 3 miles left no one bugged out. I was actually really far back and there was a small gap from the front 25 girls. I had to bust my hump a bit to cover the gap and get my good position. I finally got up to the front and somehow fit in sitting about 3 or 4 back from the girl who got roped in to pulling.

Soon, Kristen (Flatlandia) joined me and I happily took her wheel. Wondering how long she was planning to sit in before she started her nearly signature fast last lap. I waited and waited until about 700 meters when the Wolverine girls jumped for a lead-out attack. Christie's attack was sudden, sure and fast! She dropped her lead-out and had a 10 meter gap on the field. Kristen and I both reacted as she had come by and quickly went around her teammate. I stayed behind Kristen and we slowly started to reel her in. I was getting worried about whether or not she could stay off, but that last stretch is SOOO long and Kristen managed to get behind her for a bit and catch a little breather before the sprint. I was looking for the 200 m sign and was surprised to see the 150. An alarm went off and I jumped with whatever I had left.

I hammered and fumbled to add my last gear and just kept my eye on Kristen's wheel. Holding steady. Where's that line?! Hold it. All the way, all the way. Finally, that line! Whew! Wow. Gasp. Gasp. I think I must have been holding my breath...

2 comments:

Jessica (aka Baby Bomber) said...

Sweet:) St. Louis represent!

Kristen said...

I keep telling myself..."a lot of people would be really happy to get second".... :)

Congratulations!