Friday, January 12, 2007

Ride. Eat. Work. Ride. Work. Sleep.


That's what I've been doing lately. After taking a week off for the holidays, I jumped in the deep end. Yikes.

How does one train on the bike in the winter? How am I supposed to fit in my 2.5 and 3 hour rides? That's been a big issue. I've been splitting time on the rollers (some in the morning and some whenever I can fit it in throughout the day). I'm not totally convinced that it's as effective as a single, long ride. But, my, um, "seat" is not prepared for that time on my saddle on the rollers; I'm sorry, but it's just not the same.

So, I'm toying with the idea of integrating running as part of the training. I've been doing a bit of research (bear in mind, math is by far my worst subject--to an embarrassing degree) and I think I'll be using a 5:1 ratio on mileage. So, if I would have done a 20 mile ride, I should, instead consider running 4 miles (and maintain the same intensity as the bike workout would have been).

This trade-off comes with a good background and familiarity with running and pace. I know, given my experience in both disciplines, that a 13-14mph ride roughly translates to me (specifically) as a 10 minute mile pace. Comfortable. A higher intensity ride workout demands a higher-intensity run and so on.

OK, so this is just something I'm TOYING with. Not recommending. Especially not without establishing a running base. I'll keep you posted and we'll see if it works at the first race of the season....

No comments: